Monday, March 5, 2018

Websites/Organizations/Social Media


There are three things a successful author needs for marketing: a website, membership in organizations, and social media presence. For the next few weeks, I will talk about social media presence and why it is a good thing to have.

You’ll hear and read many authors, editors, agents, and publishers talk about the importance of a social media connection. Online connections began in the early 90’s and since then it has evolved into a mainstay within society. Long distance phone companies became a thing of the past as more and more people used cellphones and internet video calls to connect with long distance relatives; and, they did so at a much lesser cost than the phone services offered.

It is the Age of Technology. We may or may not have a dependency on it. That is determined by the person. BUT we should take advantage of social media and how it can help in our platform and marketing.

The favorite saying of most in the publishing business: Keep an ongoing presence online, even if it’s only a small post once every two days. The more you post, the more you are seen.

And this is so true. No matter what an author cannot stay in his/her Hobbit Hole. If you are INFJ or INFP, never fear. Introverts can have an online presence without exposing our vulnerability.

Today I will talk about my favorite social media site: INSTAGRAM.

Why Instagram?

Not only do I get to share photos of books, what I am reading, what I am eating (yes, even I fall into that little category), what I am writing, what I’ve seen, where I’m going, etc., I can share my favorite reads, my projects, or those odds-n-ends in life that I find captivating. The possibilities of sharing are endless. By posting on Instagram I am more than just an author; I’m seen as a person.

Using Instagram to connect with readers and other authors allows us to connect with the nonbusiness side of the industry. With the dual role of personal and business, your followers are more apt to buy your books or if you are helping to promote a fellow author, then they are more apt to buy that author’s books.

Another thing that makes Instagram fun is the ability to share memes, giveaways, and book challenges without having the post limited to a certain number of followers. If someone follows you, then they see the post.

If you aren’t on Instagram, then I encourage to start a profile today. Remember, the more you post, the more you are seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment