Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Too Good to be Kept

When you think of stories, what do you think about? What do stories mean to you?

Think of the Bible stories: how do they impact you as a reader? The Good Samaritan, Prodigal Son, David and Goliath, Ruth and Naomi--these stories whet our appetites and arouse our curiosity to the point that we are compelled to share. Stories are like secrets, too good to be kept.

It is the similarity of the stories to our lives that bind us into an universal family of readers. They help us to remember that past history, glory, shame, love, etc. They communicate in a language we all understand. Stories are the bridge between reality and dreams.

Good stories evoke our imagination and provoke our hearts by providing an escape, and an escape is good. We all want to get away from life's tyranny, loneliness, feeling unwanted, love, hurts, and so forth. We all need subliminal affirmation and escape, and novels are the addictive drug.

Beyond escapism, stories can promote healing. Look at the story of Saul of Tarsus. Even the stories of Jesus and Peter can bring about hours of conversation, but most importantly these stories show healing and forgiveness.

Go beyond healing and forgiveness, and stories can offer hope and morality. This is the "me" generation. By writing a novel that includes biblical and real-life stories we hook the reader. Giving ourselves to God's gain and be willing to tell the story, the Holy Spirit is released.

A story written for God's glory will hold the reader accountable like nothing else will. And a great story written for God's glory will become the secret that cannot be kept.

6 comments:

  1. OK I have to repeat my comment I guess... :) I like the brightness and energy of your page.. definitely agree with what you said about books, stories etc. Never thought if it that way but it is truth. I have always enjoyed your writing so will follow your blog. Something I have never done for anyone before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored! Good to have you here, friend. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with every word you wrote. I have always loved stories, both reading and writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the use of story to get people's attention. When you pay attention, Jesus used story when He talked very often--in fact, Mark 4 says that when He spoke to the people, He used nothing but stories. That is so interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always learned best by stories. And if I really want to understand Jesus' teachings, I read the parables. Seems as though stories provide a revelation to us because we aren't thinking of learning at the time. :)

      Delete