Monday, August 6, 2018

John 16:33



John 16:33 is a verse that many people turn to for comfort and to fortify their soul.
Just recently though, I found a newer meaning to this verse. It wasn't a verse I sought; it wasn't a verse that I was led to; it wasn't a verse that was sent to me.

It was only after what happened that I found this verse and a new meaning came to me. Read the last part: "I have overcome the world." The world.... not a country, not the sea, not even people. But the World. And the world isn't just the planet. It is everything within it. The World.

How is that possible? It is possible because of who Jesus is. I didn't say "who Jesus was". I said "who Jesus is". He is alive!

Back to the verse and its new meaning. It started when I came across a band I used to listen to. I enjoyed this band. Not all of the songs, because being a hard rock, secular band there were some with explicit lyrics. Then there were the ones that I listened to and this was during a time of extreme emotional distress. I was alone. Not physically, but emotionally and spiritually (in my belief, that is).

I was a 31-year-old widow. Lost my husband in the line-of-duty and then two months later my father died in my arms from a massive heart attack. I had failed to save him. During this time, my mother and I grew apart. Grief will do that when there are no mentors or others there to help someone through the grief. We were alone. Our church wasn't there with us. Our extended family left us. And I struggled to balance work, raising two young sons, and dealing with all that was spiraling around me. I could not allow myself to break or fall.

Looking back it came to no surprise that I was attracted to the songs by Godsmack. They were angry. They were hard. But they were poetic and lyrical. The raspy smoothness of the lead singer caused me to gravitate to their music. I felt soothed. And it drove me down a path that led to more heartache, more helplessness, and destitution. It took years to pull myself away from all that. To pull myself away from that music.

Fast forward to last week, I came across their YouTube channel. One of those flukes in advertising while watching another video. New song? Really? New album? Interesting. Out of curiosity I clicked on it. Two songs in and I was captivated, again. But the song that spoke to me was "When Legends Rise".

For days that song played in my head. No other song could drown it out. No other song could erase the melody and words from my mind. I would wake up and in my head that song played. I would read the Bible and in my head that song played.

I could not travel that dark road again. And Godsmack would lead me down it. That is the dark part of me that is drawn to that style of music. And I wanted it. But I didn't desire it!

Even after asking people for something that was like Godsmack, there wasn't anything out there remotely similar that would erase them from my mind....until one sponsored Facebook post did. And I followed the link and watched the video. And now I have a new song in my head. And relief has been found.

So how does this tie in with the verse? The power of Jesus. He overcame the world. And all we have to do is seek Him. All we have to do is cry out, "Just give me Jesus!".

And that is what the song by Unspoken has done. Their song "Just Give Me Jesus" shows the power in Jesus' name. He erased a song from my head and replaced it with something that glorifies Him. He took a temptation and gave me freedom. He took the darkness and the anger and gave me light and happiness.

He has overcame the world, even if that world is inside someone's head. We matter to Him. And nothing is too small for Him and nothing is too large. We just need to cry out and say, "Just give me Jesus".

Just Give Me Jesus
https://www.facebook.com/unspokenmusic

1 comment: